View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 06:00 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster with neurological problems

General care would be to avoid stress for Gizmo. I'm not sure how much you've read on here, but cage cleaning can cause them a lot of stress. There are ways round it with "spot cleaning" and partial cleans. You have plenty of substrate so won't need to do clean outs too often.

I tend to spot clean mostly with syrians and use a litter tray. But robos tend to pee in multiple places. Our robo though did use a litter tray to pee in as well - a little one and used his sand bath to poop in mostly.

I adapted the usual cage cleaning with him to doing half the cage at a time. So there was always one half (lengthways half) that was exactly the same. Still mostly a spot clean/partial clean as they aren't really dirty or smelly and tbh I found their pee is so minimal most of it evaporates!

He took to having two nests - one in each half of the cage. So if I started to clean out one half a bit he would move to his other nest. I'd leave doing the other half for another 2 or 3 weeks. But could easily go 3 months without a clean out.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote