View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 04:00 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Ham solo has sores/scabs , not getting better

I would second using soaked science selective pellets as well. They are an all in one food that contains everything needed also. But still put out his regular hamster mix as well. I have an older ham at the moment who gets linseeds and four science selective pellets daily on a little baby food lid (soaked in a bit of boiled water then let it cool for 5 mins or so) as well as his hamster mix in the usual bowl and a bit of fresh veg daily - cucumber and broccoli are popular. Just a tiny bit though. About 1cm cubed size. It’s science selective for hamsters (because fhey also make it for Guinean pigs and other pets and those are slightly different).

Sometimes when they’re getting older (wgich 18 months is) they get toothache and don’t eat the hard food much even though they pouch and hoard it so the soaked science selective and hemp seeds should help with weight gains. Hemp seeds are high calorie as well.

They do enjoy a bit of tasty soft food on a teaspoon sometimes as well. Eg 4 months age baby food jars keep in the fridge for 2 days after opening even if you only use a little bit. Pumpkin and chicken and grandpa’s Sunday lunch are the two favourites here. Both cow and gate I think. Those don’t have tomato, onion or spices which are best avoided.

This one is a personal view - but instead of thyme tea you could make up St Johns wort herb into a tea - for bathing. It’s better known as a nerve tonic/antidepressant but that’s orally. On skin it is a wound healer - apparently used on the battlefields in the crusades. And it can be quite amazingly quick at healing wounds within a day or two. I have used it myself. But as I say that is just a personal suggestion. Externally I can’t see it would do any harm - a teaspoonful to a pint of boiling water then left for 10 mins or so then cooled. Just like the thyme tea. Just once. Then aloe Vera gel for soothing possibly. Anything that helps relieve the soreness.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 09-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote