Thread: Hair loss
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 09:41 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Hair loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyHound View Post
Hi Engel, looks like others may have come up with the solution but the problem is so similar to my Syrian, Oscar, that I hope no one minds my sharing. His coat was thinning in the same kind of area so he had skin scrapes that came back negative for mites and then it got worse - similar to Ghost. This was at the start of lockdown so the vets gave me some ivermectin drops but this didn’t work either. When I was finally able to take him to the vets they agreed there were no signs of mites at all - healthy looking skin too. They did urine samples, hair samples to rule out various things and in the end they took some skin samples and that came back positive for dermodex mites. The vets administered the drops this time and I’ve had to deep clean his enclosure 3 times whilst on the drops. This included a special spray they gave me. He is now looking mighty fine and handsome. I hope Ghost gets better soon. K
Demodex mites normally come along side other issues well in dogs anyway. Normally the immune system is low and demodex go nuts. Demodex are found on the skin anyway too.