View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 06:59 AM  
Kukuru
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Frameless Detolf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxBlazingWolfxo View Post
I'm wondering about how fragile/unstable it would be?
So you've probably put your detolf together already, but I just had to come here to say that I have a detolf assembled with silicone.

I put it together about 2 and a half years ago. It has survived a moving van and me lifting it alone from the kallax to a table and back again. It's way sturdier with silicone than with the rods. The bond between the glass and silicone is strong. The bond between silicone and the particle board end pieces seems to be holding nicely as well. I've had no problems with the amount of bedding I've used or the lid resting on the glass.

To do this you'd need aquarium safe silicone and probably a friend. I did mine alone, but I would have saved myself some silicone mess by having a friend for sure. Assemble on the floor, but prop up the bottom glass with cardboard or something. There is a gap between floor and glass because of the end pieces. Do a dry fitting first so you can see how the side glasses attach to the bottom glass (bottom glass is sandwiched between the sides). Add silicone in between the side glass and bottom glass and squeeze together. Add silicone to the end piece and attach to the glass. When all the pieces are in place you add silicone to the inner edges and smooth over with you finger. I suggest watching aquarium assembling videos from youtube for tips on working with the silicone.
Kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote