View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 05:44 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: My hamster lives in her tunnel! Like literally!

I have the hamster heaven cage but only use it for my Chinese & Russian hams, it may be ok as a starter cage for a young Syrian but ideally you would need to upgrade when she gets a little bigger, the cage isn’t high enough for a syrian size wheel plus substrate & the floor space isn’t really adequate, females tend to need more space than males too.
I just bin all the plastic bits, close the bit at the top where the penthouse goes & block off the holes for the tubes with the blockers provided.
I think it’s better to do that sooner rather than later as the longer she lives in the tubes the more stressful it will be for her to adjust to not having them.
Fill the base of the cage with substrate so she can burrow & nest in there, give her a good size house, something like a shoebox with no base directly on the substate will work well at least temporarily.
She may get a bit stressed at first but as long as she has something like that as a suitable house she will settle again soon enough.
To avoid stressing her more don’t do any cleaning for a few weeks unless you find any wet areas that may need a bit of spot cleaning, if you add more substrate put the old substrate on top so it smells familiar to her.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote