View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 12:42 PM  
mikatelyn
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Goodnight Maple Syrup

So sorry to hear about your little hammie.
I just lost my Smokey 3 days ago, so I completely understand the hamster-sized hole in your heart you might be experiencing right now.
It's still really hard to talk about, or even think about it without getting teary, but the grief is slowly getting better. Do what feels right for you. I buried Smokey in the garden where I made a small memorial to him, and I still say good morning to him when I go water my plants. I cleaned his cage right away because he had been sick, but also because I wanted his cage to look different and be in a different location. It's a little hard to explain, but I didnt want to forget and expect to see him, then have it hit me fresh each time.
I find it's starting to get easier to look at photos and videos of him, and to be able to smile at the memories of his antics. In fact, I put a small 15 second video of him on my phone's screen saver, so whenever I turn on my phone I see his cute little wiggling nose. It makes me smile.
It helps to think of the happy times, and not to dwell on how he was at the end, when he was sick.
This forum has also helped me a lot, to know other people understand how hard it is to lose your beloved pet, and that even if they are small in size they can still hold a big place in your heart.
Know that you are not alone in your grief.
Rest in peace, Maple
mikatelyn is offline   Reply With Quote