View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 01:28 PM  
ADdage13
Newborn Pup

Default A Brand New Beginning For A Rehabilitated Hamster Carer

Hi there! I'm ADdage13, 22yo and I'm setting up to adopt a rescue Russian Campbell's named Brian from my local RSPCA. I hope with my new research I can truly give him a good home.

But first, a confession. Unfortunately this is not the first time I have been responsible for a hamster. I had a sweet little Campbell's dwarf (named John) when I was 8 and boy did I do everything wrong(pet store bought, tiny habitrail cage, poor cleaning & nutrition, the works). He was not given a good quality of life and as I've grown up I've determined I will never put a pet through that again. 14 years later I've done months of research and I'm determined to do better.

I wont post pictures just yet, but I've purchased an approximately 1000sqr inch wooden cage that I'm currently sealing with Plastikote. It is multilevel, but I wanted to make sure it had enough height for 8-10 inches of my paper bedding.

I've gotten multiple hides(wooden & paper), an 8inch wheel(wooden), sandbath (with reptile sand) and some wooden seesaws. I'm currently working on a DIY wooden forrage mat base that I can insert sprigs & hay into and hide food among the hay. I know he needs more enrichment, but I'm getting some more toilet roll innards for DIY and waiting to hear which chewing toys he prefers.

I have also ordered Getzoo Dwarf Hamster Food and I'd love to hear your guys reviews. It seems to have a nice variation and low sugar for Campbells and their propensity for diabetes, but I can't find many reviews on it(in english).

I'd love to hear any advice you guys have to make my little guy's cage as perfect as possible both before and after he arrives. Hopefully this can be a great new start for both him and me.
ADdage13 is offline   Reply With Quote