View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 07:11 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Ozzy the Lucky Dip hamster

Right from day 2 i had the feeling that the double bin cage set up which totals a floor length of over 120cm wasn't right for Ozzy.
His favoured sand pit was in the play bin which was connected by a very short tube the same size as any play tunnel but he always rushed through the long main cage. There was plenty of overhead cover and a tunnel en route so he wasn't exposed. He never hang around and stayed mainly underground.
I believe that the bigger the better doesn't apply to every hamster and that there is the odd hamster who prefers a small cage. I made the decision, hopefully the right one and moved Ozzy and all his favourite things into a smaller cage, the p@h xl. The set up is as close as possible to the original one and so far i have not seen any signs of stress behaviour.
I've watched him for a while this afternoon when he came out for a drink and a spot of foraging then disappeared into the corner house. I saw the substrate move so he must have been tunneling across the cage to his big house.
Some people may disagree with me for downsizing a hamster so i'm quite interested in opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200811_134749.jpg (2.51 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20200810_150432.jpg (2.90 MB, 18 views)
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote