View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 04:12 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Henry and Gordon

I have only just caught up with this. So sorry Henry has been unwell but glad to hear he is improving. Has he finished the antibiotics now? They can start to lose weight with age and often it is toothache so they’re not eating the hard food. I started Moo on softened science selective (as an extra) when he was about 18 months and lost a lot of weight and he put it back on again. I still put his regular hamster mix out as well (they like to pouch it even if they don’t eat it!). I just put four pellets of the science selective on a baby food lid and add a tiny amount of boiled water so they soften then let it cool. He always eats it all! That way you know they’re getting all the nutrients. He also gets a bit of baby food most days which be really enjoys.

I had problems with the dosages of baytril and metacam once after the vet prescribed 0.03ml but showed me the 0.3ml marker on the syringe. That was the dose of dog Metacam for a Robo (the dose goes on their weight so clearly less than for a Syrian). But it does take some working out for a vet because the dog Metacam is stronger than the cat Metacam but it doesn’t just go on the weight of the animal. They also have to factor in the higher metabolism of a hamster. I honestly can’t remember the dose of Metacam for a Syrian but it worked out as approx two “drops” from the bottle - so that should give you an idea as to whether the amount was right!

I agree that a probiotic now would help a lot. The Dr S cypher mentioned is probably the best option. I used benebac as it is just the probiotic with no added vitamins as I didn’t want to use vitamin C (which pro C has). But it’s not that easy to get hold of - it’s from the US and a vet prescribed pro biotic in the US. I just added the dose to a bit of baby food and mixed it in. That way it gets eaten. The baytril can wreck their gut so the probiotic fir a couple of weeks really helps get things back to normal.

Amazon is selling it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bene-Bac-Sm...6842027&sr=8-4
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote