View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Spot cleaning with new ham

Agree with Luna and Coco. I've had my foster Syrian for two weeks now and haven't done any cleaning. The cage doesn't smell bad and neither does he hence can't see a valid reason to turn his home upsidedown and upset him. He started off as a scared pet shop baby who would screech whenever i did anything in his cage so i left him alone and just talked to him for a few days. I can pick him up and stroke him now but still haven't got a clue where his peeing spot is.
You could place a toilet with sand in it near where she sleeps. My young Syrian has one but prefers to play in it whereas my older Syrian will only pee in his sandfilled toilet. It took a while of trial and error for him to do that and he had to be happy with my suggestion of introducing a toilet and then i had to get the location right.
Don't worry about cleaning, three nights is a short time so its very early days for your hamster to settle in, learn to trust you and gain confidence. It's a lot to deal with for a small animal who is often naturally on the shy side.
Your patience will be rewarded though.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote