View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 02:56 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is this DIY cage safe for a Syrian hamster?

Agree with the others. The Alaska cage is very good value and suitable for a Syrian and diy cages can end up getting quite expensive in materials. Particularly when it comes to buying Perspex and glass for doors. Although I get the impression you’re wanting to go bigger hence thinking about the bookcase. Depth of a cage/the bookcase is important. A Syrian cage really needs to be at least 40cm deep - ideally at least 50cm deep. With a length of at least 80cm. The floorspace in one area is what counts so adding the area of the different levels together isn’t the same.

A lot of people use Ikea furniture for diy cages - melamine covered. If you like the idea of something bigger then a detolf is one option - if you have the space. £60 glass cabinet tipped on its side with the glass doors left off, so it makes a long tank. You then need to make two lids out of strips of wood and mesh. It works well sat on top of Ikea kallax shelf units.

One larger open area, filled up with enrichment toys and substrate, does work better than smaller area joined together - it encourages normal digging and foraging and nesting behaviours. The Barney cage is bigger than the Alaska and only costs about £50.

A bin cage is another option. The best sized bin is the 145 litre really useful box which is about 80cm x 60 Cm. You don’t need many tools for that - just mesh and a heated knife for cutting.

But one thing to think about as well is access to the hamster and the cage.

Your bookshelf might be suitable but I wouldn’t connect a cage to it. Do you have a photo/dimensions? Most book shelves are too shallow.

If you are keen to do a large diy cage then look up the Linmon cage on YouTube (although I think it can work out expensive). Or think about the detolf or rub bin.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote