View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 06:17 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Is this DIY cage safe for a Syrian hamster?

I agree with Maker. It's probably cheaper to buy the Alaska from Zooplus and then you know that you have a decent sized, well ventilated cage. You'd need to buy a 28cm wheel anyway and a big bottomless house you can make from a shoe box. Add things like bendy bridges and hides big enough for a growing Syrian plus DIY materials and the cost will soon add up. I know because i make bin cages.
You could also check the small ads like Gumtree for a good second hand cage in the right size.
What concerns me about your bookcase design is the fact that it could get quite hot and stuffy in there in the summer. I'd make meshed front panel doors instead of using glass or acrylic but that's providing the bookcase is big enough in the first place.
You can improvise a lot with home made toys and furnishings until you get things as and when you can. Pringle tubes make great tunnels for a Syrian, cardboard boxes with holes cut in make great hides. One of my dwarfs favourite hide is an oilburner from the poundshop. Having a hamster adds a new dimension to shopping because there's a lot of inexpensive stuff you can use.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote