Thread: Substrate
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 04:16 PM  
Otaku
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Substrate

Ok, so I figured that I would hold off on the review to try to judge my hamster's feeling towards the Small Pet Select brown paper based bedding.

The bedding arrived a couple of days after purchase, safely packaged within a big cardboard box.
The 178l substrate bag measured approximately 60x40x23cm (HxWxD).
It was compressed but unlike the Kaytee Clean & Cosy it separates easily with some ruffling up, during which there was a distinct absence of dust particles thus no sneezing on my part. When fluffed up I do believe it expands x3 as the product description claims, though after fluffing up the substrate I then compacted it down to hold burrows - I had ordered orchard hay too thinking I may have to layer the substrate but found it wasn't required.
The bedding is dry and crisp, with no offensive odour and a softer texture than I anticipated, but coarser than Kaytee C&C.

I did take a video so if you know of a good platform to host a video I can upload it and provide a link.

Bedding layer 1.jpg

Bedding layer 2.jpg

Bedding layer 3.jpg

Bedding layer 4.jpg

This final image shows what little dust was on the base after fluffing up the substrate.

Bedding dust.jpg
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote