View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 03:35 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Old Syrian hamster

Hi there. She is a very very old lady now Over 100 in human years! So things will gradually start to deteriorate, as it does with humans - when organs start to gradually fail. It may be nearing her time from what you describe, but sometimes they have a strong heart and keep going, but can be having pain and suffering. I have been in a similar situation, at a similar age, twice with Syrians and both times I needed to help them on their way as they didn't just pass peacefully one night.

I think the fact her ears are down all the time means she is suffering. You will be able to tell generally but it does sound like she is having pain. A vet visit is also stressful. Metacam can help with pain but it depends what is causing it. I have accepted that at that age, there is no point looking for a cause because it can be a number of things going on with various organs starting to not function properly or possibly a tumour. But metacam isn't enough for severe pain so the only option then is to help them on their way to prevent more suffering.

So it is a case of weighing up quality of life. Hamsters do keep going until they can't. Personally right now I would see if she seems to be enjoying her life and happy or just really struggling. What is she like out of the cage? Sometimes they get very active and start running around. Other times they just want to go back to the cage.

I would be concerned about ears down all the time though as that does suggest she is in pain or suffering. If you do decide to take her to the vet I would do so being prepared for not bringing her home,if the vet says Metacam isn't going to help right now and she is suffering.

Otherwise just keep an eye on her, keep talking to her. Sometimes they will give a sign that they've had enough. Avoid cleaning her out so she stays comfortable - you can just spot clean a pee area now and then.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote