View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 10:31 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Long Owned Hamster Untamable?

It sounds like you’re making good progress already, it is difficult with an older hamster that hasn’t been handled but I think he could well get over the biting with time. They will often bite gloves & although some people do find them helpful I think it can also mean just giving them something to chew on! The gloves must seem quite strange to him too. He might bite your bare hand to begin with, I’m not sure there’s really a way around that until he gets a little more used to you, I know it’s hard but if he does bite try not to react, just slowly remove your hand & give him a little time before trying again.
Are you able to sit with him in a playpen or other safe area, even the sofa or a bed with cushions or pillows stopping him from escaping, if he can run around & on you & you can just let him run on & off your hands, or just put a treat on your hand & let him take it without handling to begin with that might help.
If you do put your hand in the cage try burying your fingers in the substrate so they’re not so easy to bite! Having not been handled for such a long time he could be a bit territorial about hands in his cage so bear that in mind too.
Have you tried the tissue trick? Just put some toilet tissue up your sleeve or somewhere it will get your scent on it then put that in the cage so your scent becomes more familiar to him & he won’t see it as a threat.
Good luck, biting hams can be a real challenge but it is very rewarding once you win them over.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote