View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 02:07 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Eye is crusted shut

It sounds like you are doing a very important job amd stressful
circumstances. I am sure nobody is thinking anything other than empathy and sympathy for Americans at the moment - the rest is politics and some governments have handled things better than others. These are very hard times and a bit crazy as well.

Yes toe nail clipping is not easy and I have only managed one nail so far. I remember doing it with our first hamster but he would sit still for ages. After watching a few videos myself I am going for the method of putting a heap of irresistible food in front of the hamster while out of the cage so they are so distracted in lapping it up that you can snip away and they don’t notice. Easier to do that method with tiny nail scissors. I found it very nerve wracking the first time but as long as you know to only take the very tip off so don’t cut the quick and the hamster is still it’s not too difficult. The first time I took our hamster to the vet to have it done - that was a bun fight! I had to hold him while she used special clippers and he definitely wasn’t still!

Anyway don’t worry about it now. Not all hamsters get overgrown nails. Out last Syrian didn’t but he was much more active. It’s why keeping a rough stone or terracotta plate eg under a water bottle or food dish is a good idea - it helps to keep their nails trim.

Chew sticks and their hard hamster mix help keep their teeth from growing too long but if they start to get toothache eg and and aren’t eating properly then softened food helps keep up the weight and nutrition. As they eat less hard food that is when their bottom teeth can get overgrown. These things don’t always happen but it’s something to keep an eye on as they get nearer 2.

He sounds to me doing fine. The way I knew Moo wasn’t eating properly was a fairly severe weight loss which happened quite quickly. First thing to try was softened food as he was healthy and active otherwise and that did the trick and he has his weight back on again now.

Newt was still very fit and active at 2 and no issues so it varies. They sleep a bit longer sometimes when they get older which may be why they get sleep in their eyes/sticky eyes
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote