View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 07:13 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New hamster worries

I wouldn’t remove the level. The first two weeks in a new cage are settling in time so one thing to avoid is cleaning out during that time or moving things/removing things. Adding new things is usually accepted fine. They can get easily stressed during that settling in period.

I have only had bar chewing when they’re newly in a good sized cage when there was no wheel. But sometimes it can be something that isn’t quite right for them. Just wondering if she has a good sized house. They need somewhere dark to retreat to and tend to only dig a burrow if there’s no house that they consider suitable. A shoe box house is ideal cut the base out so it sits on the substrate and is open underneath. Cut a hole for a door - near one end on a long side works well as then the other end is darker. Keep the lid as a lift off roof. And add plenty of nesting material in the cage - plain white toilet paper torn into strips in a pile but not actually inside the house - they like to forage for it and take it to build their nest.

Other things to check are that the wheel is spinning freely and there is easy access to the water bottle and food bowl.

You could try adding hemp mat inside the bars in that area. It can make them feel more secure but wouldn’t necessarily stop them chewing the bars (our hamster used to just squeeze between the hemp mat and the bars.

If you have a photo of the cage set up we could suggest other things- it’s a lovely cage - I have it too. But I didn’t use the supplied shelf as had existing items. The ladder takes up quite a bit of space but still possible to fit other things in .
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote