View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 03:31 AM  
kattsy
Newborn Pup

Post Re: Bugs in my hamsters cage! help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Hi there. It’s common to get bugs in pet food - they look like weavils to me. It almost always comes from the food. It is nothing to do with your cleanliness. It’s why I now freeze all hamster food for a week before using! After having an outbreak of moths. Moth eggs are too small to see but common in most pet foods. They hatch out when it’s warmer. Freezing kills moth eggs and other bugs.

If they are in the bedding as well now then yes you will need to do a full cage clean unfortunately. Not great for the hamster but he should settle again in a week or so. Just scatter some treats afterwards to make up for it.

They shouldn’t do any harm - hamsters will eat bugs - a bit of live food! But they could start breeding so you want rid.
Update:

Took her to the vet today and turns out they were mites. We got some medicine applied to her, and are now spraying the whole room with a special spray they gave us, since we saw some of the bugs get from her cage to our couch.
The vet told us its likely from hay, and we did get her this hay toy a few days ago, so its probably that.

Hopefully theyll be gone!
kattsy is offline   Reply With Quote