View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 02:31 AM  
heyheyitsaimee
Newborn Pup

Default New hamster worries

Hi everyone!
After months of research and preparation, I finally got my first hamster yesterday! She is a female Syrian, around 8 weeks old and is absolutely adorable. She is in a large cage, it is the Savic plaza which measures at 100cm X 50cm, multiple hide outs, chew toys, a 28cm wheel and between 1/3 and 1/2 of the cage has over 6 inches of Carefresh bedding.

I got her around 11am yesterday and was really impressed with how she first settled in! She explored the cage for around 20 minutes, and wasn't bothered by mine and my brother's presence in the room. After exploring the cage, she burrowed for around 20 minutes and then fell asleep somewhere within all that bedding, she slept right through until 9:30pm and then woke up. She seems to absolutely love burrowing so i'm glad I gave a deep area of bedding. I took this as a good sign as I don't think a particularly stressed out or scared hamster would go to sleep that quickly after being putting in a new cage? But I'm not sure.

When she woke up, I was really happy as she was eating, drinking and even using her wheel, all while I was in the room with her. However, once she found her way up onto the second level of the cage, she started biting the bars. She only bites in one specific area, and it only ever lasts for around 2 minutes. I was up all night because after seeing this the first time I was worried, and she probably repeated this around 3 times, but again always just for a couple of minutes and in the same place.

Do you think that this is something to worry about? I was trying to calm myself down by saying that its probably just a stress response as it's her first night, and that she is probably just feeling her way around the cage since its all new, but i'm not sure. I know its probably not anything to worry about yet but its' just really disappointing because I want her to be happy and I tried really hard to provide her with a cage that was appropriate. What do you guys think and what would you suggest?

Thank you for reading this long post!!
heyheyitsaimee is offline   Reply With Quote