Thread: New hamster.
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 06:59 AM  
Geo92
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
What wheel and cage do you have? If you have a photo we can look and see what may have caused injury. Assume it isn’t a mesh wheel as those can cause injury?

I would dab the side with saline and keep an eye on it- it’ll either heal up or get infected. To make the saline just put a teaspoon of salt into a pint of boiling water. Stir it up and let it dissolve. Let the water go cold. When it’s cold you can just dab the sore - use a cotton bud or corner of a cloth - not too wet, you don’t want to soak him. It speeds up healing.

Don't worry, I am aware of the mesh wheels, it's 12" bucket wheel that i got from ebay, that someone makes , no mesh wheel, I am sure I put a video on this a few months back, him running on it lol.. to be honest the picture does make it look worse than it looks in person. I am watching it, so far it isn't looking infected, seems to be healing fine as of now. only thing in the cage is wheel, chew toys, water bottle etc all the things you'd expect nothing I can see would cause it, unless he climbed the bars and thats what caused it, but not
seen him climb the bars for a little bit.

I must confess, had him for a few months now, and I have not held him or picked him up yet... he seems to know my hand is safe now, as if I put a treat up the bars he wants it, but if I put my hand near the cage he doesn't try to eat my fingers, so I am thinking think is the time to start handling him, wanted to leave him awhile to settle in but.. it's been a little longer than I wanted.

I mean I have gave him a treat directly from my fingers when the cage was open and he seems fine.. so think I should start handling him..

Last edited by Geo92; 07-05-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Geo92 is offline   Reply With Quote