View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Pets at home XL cage for Syrian

The borneo xl is a very good sized cage. It is quite high so I would recommend putting some shelves in, so if your hamster falls, it is not such a long drop and potential to hurt himself.

Re your current setup I can see what I think is a flying saucer, but not an upright wheel. (there may be one but out of shot) Ideally a syrian hamster needs an upright 11-12inch wheel. As Serendipity already mentioned the Trixe 28cm wheel is a good basic wheel.
Flying saucers aren't great as it causes the hamster to curve it's body.

You could add a bridge or two for your hamster, like you have already done with your pringle tube, use your recyling and you could use a cardboard egg carton or adapt a cardboard box, no tape as your hamster could chew and ingest it.

I also can't see where your hamster is sleeping, does he have a hide/house? If not a great tip is to use a shoe box, take the lid off and put that on the bottom of the box, turn the shoe box upside down, cut a hole for an entrance.

This video might give you a few more ideas and show you what I mean re the shoe box (2min 13 sec mark shows the shoebox):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xpx...&index=10&t=7s

Just one last thing, I know people use hammocks but they aren't really safe if your hamster chews it, and I personally wouldn't use or recommend anything with chains/ metal loops or rungs where they can potentially get their feet stuck/caught. You could always swop the metal parts on things for some sisal or jute string, which only costs about £1.99 from places like wilkos or garden stores. just make ssure it is 100% natural.

Hope this helps, you did say you were open to advice