View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 05:47 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Big but cheap, non barred cages?

Noticed on your other thread you mentioned looking for something bigger. The only bigger tank style really is the Eco Habitat. It wouldn't be an easy thing to move to a different house during holidays though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Worl...00E1XWJ2O?th=1

I'd probably go with the Marrakesch for tank style, and easier move ability - it's not bigger but it's a good size.

Or - get the eco habitat but make a cheap bin cage as a holiday cage for when you need to leave him somewhere when you go on holiday. Or - would it be possible to get a petsitter instead? If your grandparents don't live far away could they just come in and feed him and do his water once a day? That's what I do if we go on holiday.

The Eco habitat has a wood base which needs protecting from pee but you can just put a hemp mat down or coroplast under the substrate if you don't want to be painting the wood base. But not plastic sheet as that isn't safe if chewed.

The other downside to the Eco habitat is it does need the lid meshing again or your hamster will find a way to the top and escape(and believe me they do!) So that's back to diy again.

Only real options then are the Marrakesch or a glass fish tank which can be very expensive - or the Junglepets glass tank. Glass tanks are heavy and difficult to move.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 07-02-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote