View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 05:51 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: I have done a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicleteer View Post
Omigosh, they’re adorable! I definitely want to keep following this thread.

Is their tail prehensile? Can they use it to maneuver or climb?

It’s demoralizing to me when I’ve told friends I’ve been thinkIng of getting rats; they make a face and look at me like I’ve lost my mind. I’ve tried over and over to explain the virtues and capabilities and friendliness of pet rats, but they still picture me “contaminating” my home with wild rodents. Not that that would stop me from getting them, but it’s a chore trying to convince some people.

Anyhow, I hope you keep the pictures coming!
No their tail isn't prehensile. In fact if you grab a rat by its tail it will deglove hence why you should never do it. They use their tail to regulate heat and for climbing and balancing.

You will get that a lot. The stigma of rats being incredibly dirty and disease ridden is rife. IMO they're the cleanest rodent. Also the friendliest and least likely to bite. They're as intelligent as a dog and the only other mammal other than humans to inhabit every continent (excluding Antarctica) . I'm lucky that my circle of people is small. A few of my friends own/ have owned rats and the rest are animal lovers. My family on my mum's side don't know I have them. They didn't like my last lot so not going to bother mentioning it to them. My mum doesn't like them because of the tail but is ok with me owning them providing that I tell her when they're in the cage or when they're out. My bros are very open minded and think they're cute. My sister doesn't like them but my niece's love them. Apparently I'm the 'aunty they warn you about' the chilled out one that some might call a bad influence.

I'll give an example, my eldest niece (13) wanted a faux hawk. For those that don't know what it is it's when the sides and back of your head are shaved and top left long. My niece had hair just below her shoulders. Helped her convince mum, then I shaved her head and gave her a faux hawk. Now I can't really say anything as I've had a pillar box red mohawk and currently have a completely shaved head but trying to grow it out into yet another mohawk.

Youngest niece (at the time she was 2) wanted to play with Klaus. Yeh sure why not? Klaus was awesome and gentle so no worries their and she'd sit on the floor with him running around her.

The youngest saw a mouse the other day and thought it was lost and asked her mum if they could catch it so it could live with me. Trying to explain to her it's not a pet mouse only for her to say it needs a house and family.

I'm the one who lets them run and roll on the grass with their white socks and takes the stabilisers off the bike when dad says no. They had fun so I don't care. Can't wait until lockdown is over we can cause chaos again