View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 05:22 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: I have done a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley524 View Post
They are so cute! What kind of rats are they? Their faces look so similar to my black bear Syrian. I’ve always wanted to try having some rats just don’t have the space for them right now unfortunately.
You can get 1 type of pet rat, rattus norvegicus which is your standard fancy rat which Inky and Splat are. 'Fancy' is used to mean pet essentially. Like Fancy Mice are pet mice.

You may see a rodent called a soft fur rat. This is related to rats but isn't a rat NOR a mouse. I have never owned one of these so can't comment on them and I know quite little about them.

Colouring and marking wise, there's quite a few different ones to pick from.

Inky

Body type: standard. Ears on top of head like wild rat. Dominant gene.

Coat: standard, straight hair. Dominant gene.

Base colour: black. Recessive gene.

Modifiers: none (I don't think anyway)

Pattern: would like to say Berkshire but I'm not 100% sure because of the stripe on the face. Can't find anything about it.

Splat

Body type: Dumbo, ears large and on side of head. Recessive

Coat: standard.

Base colour: black

Modifiers: none

Pattern: Berkshire

Rats prefer height over length so a tall bird cage is often used. 80x50 base with lots of height. Enough for 2 cubic feet per rat minimum.

Edit. Just to let you know that I've done the calculations and my girls have just over 3.5 cubic feet each.

Last edited by Engel; 06-21-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote