View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 06:13 AM  
gtyatt5
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Some housing questions...

Everything seems small in Korea. It's unfortunate that we gave and threw away all our super large totes bought easily at a Target or Walmart, when we moved back to Korea. The largest I could find here is the IKEA Samla which comes in at 130L with dimensions of 78cm*56*43 (l*w*h). But given the way it gets smaller at the bottom, I found elsewhere on someone else's blog the floor space for the 130L Samla to be roughly 68cm*47cm (l*w). Which probably gets slightly larger if 15cm of substrate is added.

But even then, it's not really that much larger than what we have (52cm*41*30). The half square meter or even the 80*50 seems unattainable in Korea. At least as far as totes go.

So I wonder if two 130L Samla totes connected via tubes would suffice?

What I can't get, I can't get. And to custom order a hamster cage made of acrylic or wood at the half square meter size goes for $200~$300 range excluding shipping costs. I did find a rabbit cage at that size (90cm*61*72) that is listed at about $90 (see attached photo). I could probably use finer wire mesh to cover the entire cage...but how to avoid substrate seepage?

I looked further at options from other countries...but given the size and volume of an enclosure, the shipping cost comes in at the $100~$200 range. And IKEA Detolf...all the detractors have sort of got me sold. They're saying getting a good cover on top isn't as easy as all those DIY YouTube vids and even then isn't escape-proof. (Honestly, I'm more worried about my wife seeing a on-the-loose hammy than the hammy killing itself biting cords. If such comes to pass, I'd probably be served divorce papers. No joke!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrome cage XL-de.jpg (176.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gtyatt5; 06-19-2020 at 06:19 AM.
gtyatt5 is offline   Reply With Quote