View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 03:46 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: How to tell if bedding is suitable if it doesn't say what wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaAndChester View Post
How did you find out the composition of snowflake bedding? I'm curious if it's been stated somewhere and I've missed it haha. I contacted them directly, but they haven't responded yet.

Anyways; OP: Best not to use unlabelled softwood shavings. The only safe softwood is spruce. But the issue is that physical appearance wise, it looks like pine. Even kiln-dried pine is not safe (not that we can say anyway, due to lack of longterm studies). I would compost it or something as mentioned... i wouldn't recommend risking it, personally.
I had to contact the manufacturer to get that information. The products are made up of a combination of pine, spruce, and cedar.

The debate on the safety of pine including kiln dried will probably never end, even if we did have more detailed scientific studies done to further validate all the arguments against pine. Scientifically, you cannot remove the things that make pine unsuitable. Kiln drying does not remove all moisture(you can never have moisture free wood) and the temperatures also don't get anywhere near high enough to even possibly remove the harmful components(not just phenols, but it would be a lengthy post if I had to go into detail).
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote