Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 12:29 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Help please

I have an adopted Robo hamster who had lived in a tiny pet shop tank for at least five months and hamsters don't get handled or attention in pet shops. I adopted him to show him what a hamster's life can be like, what its like to roll in sand, run on a wheel and build tunnels in deep substrate. I expected nothing in return but tried to introduce him to humans. It took him three months to trust me enough to come onto my hand to eat seeds and that's as far as we got because he is a very shy little hamster. He gets stressed when out of his tank so i don't take him out. He gets up between midnight and 01.00 and rarely comes out during the day. I used to see him early morning when i worked early shifts but i've changed job and get up later now so i often don't see him for days.
His fresh food is gone in the morning, his wheel has been peed on and the sandpit is a mess which tells me that he had a good time during the night.
Hamsters have their own personalities and like humans their history can affect them. Some hamsters seek or tolerate human company and some prefer their own.
I'm telling you this to make you aware that you may have a hamster who is happy to simply get on with hamster life on her own. She may be settling in and it may be possible that you can tame her but either way its not about us humans, its about what our hamsters feel comfortable with.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote