Thread: Hamster noises
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 02:40 AM  
Kyrkogrimr
Hamster Pup

Question Hamster noises

I've had Carbon for a couple of weeks now and one of the things I've noticed is that he's a lot more vocal than Cadmium was. Cadmium almost never made any noise except when she was ill and cranky and the stupid hoomins were making her take that disgusting stuff again, in which case the meaning was very clear.

But Carbon is a lot more vocal that she was - he's told me off a couple of times when something has startled him, and this morning he squeaked quietly at me when I gave him a mealworm which is one of his favourite treats, which to an uneducated not-an-expert me sounded like he was happy about the mealworm? Then, a little while later, he was sat on top of his house, had a quick sandbath, chewed on a monkey nut (he's still working his way through the shell) and squeaked a few more times - it was a bit louder but not loud per se - and then went back to bed.

Neither Cadmium or Hydrogen were vocal at all really, with the exception I mentioned above, so I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about or if he's just a talkative hamster?
He had a check up at the vet on Wednesday and he looked really agitated about it and was quite grumpy when he got home (he forgave me when he noticed I'd scattered his seed mix for him to forage about for) so I'm reticent to take him in again unless he needs to see a vet as I'm worried that if it's nothing the stress of the journey, especially so soon after the last one, will do more harm than good. Obviously, if he does need to go, I'm absolutely willing to do that.

I may just be being paranoid and jumping at shadows, but I know how quickly things can go downhill with hamsters
Kyrkogrimr is offline   Reply With Quote