View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 06:05 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Preventing monkey bar hanging

As Cypher says - it’s because they can . Also it tends to be to see if they can escape out of the top. I was going to suggest adding things to the roof inside the cage to block certain areas of the roof over items he could fall on otherwise. I use rat sputniks and a tunnel tied to the roof leading between a shelf (or house roof) and the sputnik. This blocks most of the roof bars and as it provides a “roof run” they are more interested in using that than other things at roof level!

Alternatively adding a shelf/platform means you could put some harder items under or on the shelf so he just lands on soft substrate.

I have actually stuck hemp mat to a ladder in case it gets fallen on.

One other thing that works is attaching shelves at roof level. I did that when our first hamster was older - didn’t want him climbing and falling when doddery but he liked sitting under his shelves- so instead of removing them I just moved them up so they were flush with the top of the cage inside the cage - so he was still able to sit under the shelf and couldn’t get at the top bars if he did happen to try and climb the bars.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote