View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 01:48 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Concerns over my hamster's weight.

Thanks for posting this, sarahhhh; I have a similar concern about my hybrid winter white. Does this come under the category of "Russian dwarf"? I plan on weighing her this weekend, but she definitely looks more like Chunky Hammy than Skinny Hammy. I had read that hamsters don't overeat, but this one and my last one (also a hybrid WW) both seem to live to eat, and with this one I'm in constant danger of being eaten alive.

Freya hoards food, but mostly only the bits she is less keen on - one particular type in her food mix. The rest gets hoovered up very quickly, and even though she's incredibly active at night, she looks more chunky than is good for her. I would say she is around the same size now as her predecessor was when a vet remarked that she was "a little on the plump side", and I began to be very careful with how much I fed her - especially peanuts and sunflower seeds. I'm doing that now with Freya. How much should a dwarf eat per day? I would say she has no more than a rounded teaspoon per day, and even with all the activity she still looks a bit hefty to me.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote