Thread: Nest issues
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 AM  
MrsS
Newborn Pup

Default Nest issues

Hi, we have had our rescue Syrian for 5 days now, and since watching him explore his new enclosure when we first put him in, we haven't seen him out. We've installed a night-cam and Hercules is waiting until after midnight before he gets up to thrash his wheel and collect his food to take back to the nest, so basically he is in his nest probably 20 hours a day. We are lucky in that he has chosen to nest in a bark log that we placed in the aquarium and is butted up to the glass, so we get to see him awake - cleaning, eating etc. in his little man cave, but my concern is, how do I clean it and how often? It is buried under 11 inches of bedding and in theory I could get to the log from the side and lift it (therefore not disturbing his burrows too much). From what I can see, he isn't toileting anywhere else, so it's not like I can spot clean. I don't want to stress him out but also I'm worried about the snack-stash sitting in his soiled bedding, especially with no ventilation down there. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote