View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 05:47 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Twinkle had concussion & a contusion

One thing that might help him settle is putting the meds in food. Baytrill is difficult to disguise and important they get the full dose regularly. Loxicom is the same as Metacam I think and not so crucial if they don't eat all the food its in. But you could put that in a little bit of baby food on a separate dish and I'm sure he'd enjoy that. I use one of the baby food lids as a separate dish - about half a teaspoonful of the baby food and drop the metacam on top - so it usually gets eaten first and they usually eat all the babyfood.

You could do something similar with the baytril - it tastes nasty and they may not eat the food - but the beefy country hunter dog food worked for me (tip from Vectis). Some people use runny honey in the syringe with the baytril. I've never yet had a hamster who would take meds from a syringe and they would just get very anti the syringe and attack it and be annoyed with you for it.

You might want to get some probiotic as well if he's on baytril. I didn't give it until the baytril was finished. You can give it at the same time but I'd give it at a different time of day than the baytril. I used this Benebac one. It is just the probiotic and no other additives. The dosage is easy to work out for their weight - for our robo it was an eighth of a teaspoon - which worked out as a "pinch" and I mixed that into baby food as well. He was also on baytril and metacam so he had lunch,dinner and supper!

Lunch was the baytril in dog food (middday),dinner was the metacam in baby food and supper (later at night) was the benebac in baby food. And his hamster mix of course.

This is the beefy dog food - in little pouches. You end up chucking most of each packet unless you have a dog! Keeps in the fridge for two days so you get three days of "doses" out of it. It looks a bit like corned beef in jelly but disguised the baytril very well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Men...3-09163b7d9294

I am sure all the chuntering will be stress after effects combined with the hassle of the meds.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote