Thread: Percy
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 09:12 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Percy

Percy is dying. He was hamstering about yesterday but has looked bloated for the last couple of days which is a bad sign for a dwarf suffering from diabetes. He was in his hut in the playpen box when i went to bed last night but this morning his cucumber was still in his dish. Percy always eats his cucumber so i knew that something was wrong and went looking for him.
I found him in the right front corner of his main cage next to the window where he sometimes sleeps.
He looked asleep with his eyes shut and breathing but was unresponsive to me calling and touching him.
I went to work while my OH was at home checking on him but when i returned he hadn't moved and his breathing seems a bit more laboured. His eyes are closed and he seems unconscious which is a blessing because he's not suffering. If i thought for a second that he'd be suffering i'd take him to an emergency vet to have him put to sleep.
He may have had a stroke but its more likely that he has kidney or heart failure caused by his diabetes and it would take a miracle to come back from that.
I'm sitting by his cage feeling incredibly sad and hoping that his journey to the rainbow bridge will be a short one.