Thread: New hamster.
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 12:07 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Thumbs down Re: New hamster.

Thanknyou for the update. Are you waiting for Tyson to walk onto your hand? I'm just wondering because my Syrian never did.
I used to take him out of his cage by letting him walk into a mug with a treat in it if i remember right then put him on my lap or sat in the playpen with him on my lap. He didn't like the bath tub.I stroked his back at first while he was eating a treat like a few sunflower seeds then lifted him up gently by putting my fingers around him from above, only a short lift at first then increased the time and height gradually until he got used to me picking him up. I did wear gardening gloves at first until we trusted each other. I still pick him up the same way and he comes to the door when he wants to come out of his cage which doesn't happen that often because he prefers his own company most of the time.
One of my other hamsters doesn't like to get picked up from above but she walks onto my hand.
Does your hamster want to come out of his cage? If yes, then you could set up a playpen or hamster proof area and try to handle him gently, wear gloves if you're nervous of getting bitten and put him back in his cage should he get stressed then try again next day.
Have you had a look around on the Forum under Behaviour for threads relating to taming tips?
It can be a confidence thing. I sometimes collect rescue hamsters but always transfer them into my carrier with a jug because i don't have the confidence to pick them up with my hands in case i get bitten. I take them to the rescue and the lady who runs it picks them up and handles them because the majority of hamsters don't bite or bite only if really frightened which she would be able to tell.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote