View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 08:54 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Bar chewing an monkeybaring in a detolf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
Whenever I put something new in her cage, she plays with it for a bit, then goes back to her chew corners where she bites the mesh on the lid and monkeybars on it as well. I have been trying to cover these corners with cardboard to stop her from chewing on the bars, because I don't want her to damage herself (and it's also a very annoying noise). She chews on the cardboard instead, then once she's done with it she goes for the bars again (even though I have even put a bit of olive oil on them).
Your hamster sounds a bit like our WW hybrid dwarf, Freya, who is also in a detolf. She found a corner where she could see cables and the floor below, and went crazy trying to get down there. In the end, we stuck masking tape on the underside of the enclosure so she couldn't see down through it, and happily she no longer does it. We've used quite fine mesh for the lids, so she can't monkeybar. I wonder if it might help to put something in that corner instead that might interest her more than the bars? We tried a seed log, which she loved (available from Amazon). Another option might be some cage furniture in the corner that she can't move.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote