View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 10:14 AM  
Vierville
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Hamster ate wild baby animal

This is an awful thing to have happen. I don't mean to be judgemental but it was extremely unwise to give a newborn baby animal to a hamster to look after.

Hamsters, despite being very cute and lovable to their humans, are actually very aggressive in their behaviour towards other animals and should pretty much always be kept alone.

Also, do not ever bath or wash a hamster. It is extremely bad for them. Hamsters don't need to be bathed and it strips their coat of the natural oils that they need on their fur, it can irritate their skin and make them ill.

A hamster should have access to a sand bath in their cage which consists of a shallow dish or bowl filled with clean hamster or chinchilla bathing sand or baked playpen sand. They will roll aroubd in their sand bath which helps to absorb any excess skin oils without stripping it completely.

If you ever find a baby animal and you are completely certain that its parents are not around at all and are not coming back or if it is in immediate danger from a dog or cat or ants etc then the first priority is to keep it warm by holding it in a soft towel close to your body. Hydration is the second priority but this varies with species so while keeping it warm try to contact an animal rescue organisation.

I don't think that you need to worry about your hamster suffering any ill effects from eating whatever it was that she ate. Keep an eye on her for any unusual behaviour but I'm sure she will be ok
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote