View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 03:41 AM  
oxBlazingWolfxo
Newborn Pup

Default Frameless Detolf?

Hey guys! Hope everyone is safe and well.

So I recently bought a Detolf to use for when I get a new hamster after my last girl had to be PTS in June (it was bought and built just before this Covid-19 stuff as I was originally planning to get a hamster soon, bit of unfortunate timing since I can't do anything/get anything haha ).

Anyway, I've seen a couple of pictures on the internet of people completely ditching the metal frame, and just using silicone to hold it all together. It looks so much nicer to me, and was something I've been considering.

However, I've never done anything like that before and I'm wondering about how fragile/unstable it would be? I mean, I know fish tanks are held together by silicone, but this feels different haha.

I couldn't find much information provided by others who have done it, so I don't know how much luck they had with it. I was wondering if any of you have? Or know if it's realistically a possibility?

My detolf seems to have a large-ish gap in the corner anyway (where the seal doesn't quite reach the end), so I need to do something to block that so that substrate doesn't escape, and the FIL suggested silicone.

So yeah, any advice? £60 is a lot of money to me, so don't want to do it if it's just going to break
oxBlazingWolfxo is offline   Reply With Quote