View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 03:42 PM  
Noodelle
Newborn Pup

Smile Re: Itchy dwarf... too itchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Carefresh isn't the best substrate & can cause problems with some hams so it may be worth trying something else to see if that helps, Kaytee clean & cosy is a really good soft, virtually dust free substrate that would probably be a lot better for him.
It might be an idea to remove the coconut fibre/chips for now too & see if that helps.
It's nice to give lots of variety but he can dig & burrow in the substate without really needing anything else.
Harry Hamster isn't ideal for a dwarf hamster, if he eats all of it he should be getting all the nutrients he needs but he may do better on a dwarf specific diet, unfortunately there aren't any in the UK but Rodipet do a good mix & delivery isn't too expensive. You could buy a few bags & keep them in the freezer to save delivery if you want to give that a go.
A little update; Duke does seem to have stopped itching quite as much, I’m thinking maybe it was a nervous thing while he was settling in! I hope so anyway! Ah it’s a shame to hear that about carefresh, I did so much research and so many people rate it so highly! I’ll give Katyee clean&cozy a try. Yeah I did think about removing the coconut substrate but I’m reluctant as he just loves it so much, he sleeps in it every night and to be fair the itching started before I even put it in his cage. I’m hoping if it was that causing him to itch that he would naturally steer clear of it? Yeah I think you’re right about Harry hamster, he’s so picky with it, he only eats the seeds and some of the green flakes then the dried mealworms and some fresh fruit I give him daily, I think I will have to try something else. Yeah I’ll have a look at Rodipet. Thanks so much for all your advice! I really really appreciate it x
Noodelle is offline   Reply With Quote