View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 05:17 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Suitable Playpens for a Robo (Uk only)

I have a Robo who is happiest with his own company in his tank and doesn't seem to want out of cage time. I have tried but he also tries to get away and be aware that Robos can jump.

I'm only mentioning this to point out that out of cage time may not be what he enjoys and could even stress him out. Just something to keep in mind. Does he go onto your friend's hand or into a mug to get him out of his cage? Mine doesn't so i have to catch him in a mug when i have to do a rare cage clean and he's not happy when out.

I use a 133l playpen bin cage for my dwarfs, with different toys from their cages and a flying saucer wheel (they have upright wheels in their cages) and i let them run around on the futon.
My Syrian free roams and doesn't like playpens. I bought the Trixie wire panel playpen and wouldn't recommend it. It is very fiddly to put up and not that secure. A determined hamster could easily get out.
Some people use kiddies pools for playpens which are fine providing the hamster is not a chewer.
Another option and in my opinion a good one, is a wooden framed playpen but they are more costly.

Your friend could make a playpen from large cardboard boxes and join them with an empty plastic bottle if she wants to make a really big one. That would be a free options to find out if your hamsters like out of cage time.

The dwarf could also run around in the bath tub with a blanket and toys. I read that bath tubs aren't suited for Robos because they get scared.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote