View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 AM  
Blaze
Newborn Pup

Default Bar chewing (on the doors)

We got our Syrian hamster on the 21st feb, so have had him a month, he was born 4th dec. I did a fair amount of research before we got him and went for the ferplast cage for hamsters karat 80. 78.5 x 45.5 x 52.5cm. At first we had a little bar chewing so I put some wood chew toys there that we added some healthy treats to with the flour and water mix which worked really well and he stopped. He’s just started chewing again, initially only on the door that we use for him to come in and out. Last night I put some cardboard over it to stop him and he moved to the other door, and I’ve just noticed he’s climbed to the top of his cage and chewed there. It is only when we are not with him over night. So I don’t know if it’s attention he wants? I’ve added chew toys, we’ve made a cardboard house which we’ve glued with flour and water the grass type supplement treats (no idea what they’re called). We’ve got the bug space wheel in there too. We try to get him out everyday and have a big box that he can run around in. He’s got a sand bath/toilet, tunnels, chew toys etc. We tend to do about 10 mins at a time because he starts trying to climb out and it seems like he’s getting stressed. There’s loads for him to do in the cage. I’m lost for ideas. We don’t have the money or the space to go bigger. I have no idea how to add images to show you the cage setup? Is there ever a point that you say I’ve tried to stop this but I’ve done all I can? Feeling really deflated with it as I know it’s not good for them.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote