View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 06:49 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: opinion on hamster balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky and the Brain View Post
When I first started my taming sessions I used the "tube" method for transporting them in and out of their enclosure. In my experience with my boys I thought this looked quite distressing for them as I would 90% cover both ends for their safety during transport which makes it dark.
Due to the nature of Roborovski being very fast and in most cases slower to tame taking more time and patience, I decided to look for a better way that I felt suited my boys best. Yes I use a clear Hamster ball for transportation purposes, I feel they are happier to be transported this way with more air and light. I also feel like this is a less intimidating way of transportation.
This is all my own experience with my boys and my opinion.
Hello, and welcome to Hamster Central. I hope you find us friendly folk. I've had a lot of really helpful advice from the forum, and hope you do too.

Re your post, hamsters actually are not bothered by darkness; it's largely their natural situation in the wild as they are nocturnal. But I don't think it matters how you transport your hammies; the most important thing is that they are safe, and if the hamster ball works for you then it's all good.

I have a hamster ball since when I bought my last hamster the shop did not have a carrier I could buy to transport her in. But I very rarely used it with her and - except for transportation purposes such as you describe - don't think I will again.

It's good to hear from you, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote