View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 05:53 AM  
Candysushi
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Someone help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Yes it is nerve wracking after something like that when you have more hamsters, but try to keep positive. We can only do our best and I am sure your two new dwarf hamsters will do absolutely fine. If you want to know anything come on here.

I am not sure how experienced you are, but most dwarf hamsters are hybrids - unless they are from a breeder who knows their genetics. So they may look like a winter white or a campbells but will be a hybrid of both species as this happened a long time ago, the inter-breeding of the two species. They are lovely pets but there are a few precautions - they can be prone to diabetes so need a sugar free diet. They can also be genetically predisposed to certain conditions and this may well have happened with your previous hamsters. Actually any hamster can be genetically predisposed to certain conditions - eg a weak heart or something else and we don't know. All we can do is give them a good environment to live in and a good diet. I am not sure what hamster mix you have for them but you will get plenty of advice here if you need to find a sugar free mix.
I did not know they were prone to diabetes, I don’t give them much sugar in treats they mostly eat mealworms. 3 a day. I give them the Harry hamster food mix (tiny friends farm). I will be sure to keep that in mind thank you
Candysushi is offline   Reply With Quote