View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 02:37 AM  
stan
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Little Friends Langham Two Tier Rat and Hamster Cage

I changed that cage out for a Living World Eco, mostly because I prefer tank cages. That cage worked safely for a good 5 months though. New hamsters are more likely to climb as they are stressed. Mine also enjoyed climbing for fun and carried on here and there, but usually to get somewhere (e.g. his hanging coconut when it was where the wheel was - I'd even given him a bridge to get there safely). I used some metal hooks to screw into the shelf so that I could shift the ladder on one side flush against the bars. This meant he couldn't fall more than half the cage. I also hung the big chew toy to get in the way of his climbing journey the other side. He never jumped off the top shelf, and I kept the content there as far from the edge as possible. The hammock was a fun route from one shelf to the other, and stopped him being able to monkey bar across.

It can be set up safely, and even now my Syrian loves a good climb, so I have set up his tank with that in mind. With this cage, you just need to make the climbing safer.
stan is offline   Reply With Quote