View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 10:36 AM  
Geo92
Hamster Pup

Default Re: 9 month old hammie has started to chew cage bars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I totally disagree with not feeding a hamster and make him eat from his hoard only. Foraging and hoarding is what hamsters do. They come out at night to forage for food. Prune the hoard from time to time like Serendipity said and scatter a good hamster mix like Harry Hamster (pellets are a bit boring) around his cage to give him something to do at night. Best to cut fresh food into very small pieces so they dry up rather than rot if not eaten.
My Syrian has two big hoards in his house. One under his nest and one opposite his nest. I still make sure that he has food in his bowl at all times and scatter some around as well. Like Serendipity, i prune the hoards from time to time but leave his nest and hoards undisturbed as much as possible. They are his not mine.

people have different ways of doing things, and I've been told different things from all sorts of people, and I if you disagree that is your right to do so, the idea is you don't keep refilling your Bowl, as he might get fussy, and choose what he eats, and that isn't very good.

I have a mix of food I give him, the harry mix, and the nugget food, I've mixed them both together in a food air tight container, and I have gave him few days ago a little piece of carrot and cucumber, just to see what he does.

at the end of the day, I am not saying what you do is wrong, but it sounds like what you're saying what I am doing is wrong. and quite honestly, I've heard all sorts of methods, so it just sounds like if I am not doing what you're doing I am wrong,

Yes I did think about always filling his bowl when emptied, and was worried about over eating, yes i know it's very rare and unlikely for a hamster to over eat but it isn't impossible.

I don't leave my hamster without food, I know he eats his stored food, as I keep a check on it..

and about scattering, that would be fine, it it depends on the hamsters they're all different.. mine would rather run on his wheel all night and that's what he does, wakes up at 10-11pm runs till the early hours in the morning. and I have no issue with hiding like a treat or something, but for the main food source.... feel like he would rather just have it in a bowl, and that's fine.. if that what he prefers, obviously, he cannot speak so I have to make that judgement based on what I witnessed, he is barely over a month old, and after the day I got him he explored once, then it was wheel wheel wheel.

lastly please don't take what I say as offensive, as I have took some of your advice on my thread.. and I do appreciate it, I've had a hamster before, and trying to do it better this time, and I have done alot better as I did when I was younger, I've spent like nearly £300 on this hamster, I care, and I do want the best for him, Like I've said my hamster (As of now) doesn't explore just uses his wheel, maybe it will change later, but for now it's what he does at night, Ill put a treat in tonight, and hide, I bet you it will still be there.

Last edited by Geo92; 03-12-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Geo92 is offline   Reply With Quote