Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 02:16 PM  
BuzzyBee

Default Hello

Greetings all from Devon in the UK.

My daughter and myself have a new member of our family called Anastasia. She is a gorgeous, very friendly and mischievous Syrian hamster.
I have given her a middle name recently of Houdina after the escape artist Houdini as she is quite the escape artist!
We had to visit the vet today as when doing a health check last night she had pus coming from her bum. The vet was lovely and couldn’t see any sign of pus but gave us some antibiotics just to be safe.
The vet said that Anastasia is the largest Syrian she had seen at 16 weeks weighing in at a whopping 171g, the size of a small rat. It’s been difficult and very expensive having bought a cage that was way too small (pico XL) for her even though it recommended on the box it was suitable for Syrians. I resorted to building an 80 litre bin cage which was still too small so I made another bin cage and joined it together with a drainpipe. She seems happy enough but still trying to escape. I would like to get some suitable tubing for her to twist and turn under the bedding and possibly up and over the two bins but unsure of the sizes to get. I did try the flexible tube for rats but she chewed through it within a week. I would be grateful for ideas of a house and tubes from others with large Syrians. Thanks all.
BuzzyBee is offline   Reply With Quote