View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 10:17 PM  
Celestial
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Ideas for Dwarf Hamster Accessories?

AmityvilleHams, Cypher, Littlephodopusmom, and Ria P, thanks for your answers and for clearing up hamster wheel terms! The Silent Spinner vs. Silent Runner is pretty sneaky... I'll definitely make sure to double check.

cypher,
My dwarf didn't like the bathtub the first time we tried, so we avoided putting her in there. However, when she got older she stopped wanting to run around the floor (she used to absolutely love running free) and would instead climb up our arms [we would have to move a tonne of stuff around to make a hamster safe space... then move it back, just for her to climb up our arms? Nah.]. She didn't want to go into the rejected upgrade cage... she would climb up our arms. She wanted to lay down and get petted... except if we were trying to clean some of her cage she would be like "what are you doing? can I see?" and I didn't want to subject her to watching us clean her cage. (Living through remodelling construction is traumatic enough for a human!)
One day it was past time to give her cage a little clean, but we were two people short (one worked that day and the other was in the infectious stage of a cold)... Sticking her with one person to play would not have been viable as it would take x3 long for one person to do everything and by then she would be desperately running to her unavailable pee corner. So we set up the tub with towels from the last time we played with her and some toys, and stuck her in. We pretended to leave and snuck back to watch her and she was a-ok, investigating and playing. We cleaned her house and came back, and she was still a-ok. We still avoided putting her in there unnecessarily though.

littlephodopusmom,
I'm curious as to what we'll get too haha!
Also, we have no idea when we'll get the new hamster! Thanks to the "hamsterpocalypse", we just got on a list of unknown size to get one... (we didn't get on the list earlier because we didn't want to end up with a second hamster and not enough time to engulf both in endless love). So if she (or he!) comes sooner rather than later, we may not have all the accessories... but she will 100% have a house, lots of substrate, nesting material (toilet paper), food, water, wheel, some chew toys, and possibly some improvised toilet paper tube stuff.
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote