View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 11:33 PM  
Celestial
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Ideas for Dwarf Hamster Accessories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
...a sand bath with chinchilla sand (not dust) or childrens play sand that's been dried in the oven...
For out of cage time it's best to have a playpen if you can find somewhere to put one of those with plenty of toys & things to explore.
If it's safe, no other animals around & care is taken to avoid falls they will enjoy just running around on a bed or sofa too.
Thank you, that does help!

What brand of chinchilla bathing sand would you recommend? I tried researching chinchilla sand... but reviews of ones I have seen in stores say that it's more like dust (for the Kaytee Chinchilla Sand Bath).

We don't have any other animals. We would put towels on the bed when we played with our previous dwarf. When she no longer was the "bullet hamster" we would let her run free on the floor with a couple people there to make sure she didn't get into anything dangerous [aka a human rectangle in a bedroom with closed doors]... but a playpen sounds much easier!

I'm curious, is there a way to set up a playpen (after supervised testing to make sure it all works as intended) so you can leave for a minute or two [e.g. doorbell, bathroom]? Or, even better, so you can do something else nearby or check every 5 minutes or more often? I am mostly asking because I want to clean portions of the cage but without having the poor hamster catch me tearing up some of its home.

Is there any truth to the stories that sometimes they can become addicted to the wheel and run themselves to death, is this totally inaccurate and / or is there a way to ensure this doesn't happen?
What would you recommend as a good wheel? Everyone gives sizes but no names are named haha.

Last edited by Celestial; 03-02-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote