View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 07:36 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Potential Cushings Dilemma...I’m stuck

That sounds sensible to see how she is after the medications. The baytril tastes really nasty so it can be difficult to get them to take it. Our Robo got so stressed that I didn’t want to try and hold him to give it to him and had a very helpful tip on here from Vectis who has medicated many hamsters and knows what’s what. She suggested a beefy dog food- just a tiny bit no bigger than a pea. And put the drop of medicine on that and mix it in. It needs to be something strong flavoured and tasty or they won’t eat it and it needs to be something they will eat all of. It worked very well for me and made things a lot easier for our Robo. He loved the beefy dog food daily and would come out waiting for it! And he’d eat it up and lick the plate clean. It was worth buying a few pouches of the dog food just to get the meds done so easily.

With baytril it is important they get the full dose regularly and finish the course once it’s started - as with humans. Otherwise any infection can get worse and become resistant to the antibiotics.

Another member on here drew up a tiny bit of runny honey in the syringe after the medicine and found her hamster would just take it from the syringe. It depends how tame the hamster is partly.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote