View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 07:02 PM  
Periwinklepets
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Potential Cushings Dilemma...I’m stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Enroflaccine is Baytril. To be honest I would ring them and check the dose. It says 0.2 mg but doesn’t say how many mls in the syringe. Iwould have expected it to be 0.02 mls which about 1 drop. But it may be mixed with something? Sorry you haven’t had more info on what could be causing underlying issues. So many vets aren’t that up on hamsters but the vet did at least seem concerned at not causing her any more stress.

Does the wound look infected and did you start the antibiotics or still thinking about it?
The dose says 0.02 mL on the enroflaccine bottle I picked up a few days ago, I’m assuming it was just a mistake, and you’re correct because it is definitely a tiny, TINY drop. With how squirmy and nippy she can be, I’ve found it really hard the past couple days to get such a small drop into her mouth. The other night I don’t even know if much went in, but I don’t want to try too many times because I wouldn’t want to over-dose her. I went back on Saturday to pick up the Demodex medication (not Ivermectin but this new other idea of medication the vet had) It’s a medication for dogs, in chewable tablet form, but the vet said that she had contacted the compounding pharmacy beforehand and that they agreed that they would be able to create a dosage for a Bijou (a syringe-able liquid dosage, like the antibiotics) out of it. The vet also said that she discussed Bijou’s case with the main practitioner of the vet clinic, who agreed it could work and supported the idea. I went today to drop off said dog medication to be altered, but the pharmacy said that they were unsure if they be able to do it or not (and I’ve already paid for the dog medication.) The pharmacy said that they would get back to me tomorrow about whether or not it would be doable. I’ve attached photos of the medication box and the vet’s prescription attached to the box as I made sure to get pictures of them before handing them in to the pharmacy today. https://imgur.com/gallery/b1I67Tr

I’m assuming that if the pharmacy is unable to do anything with this dog medication, then we would try ivermectin, but on Saturday the vet seemed to think that they were able to do it and confirmed to me that the pharmacy had agreed :/

I brought up about how there are almost definitely underlying issues causing the Demodex mites, but when I asked again about different tests we could do on Saturday, she agreed about the underlying issues, but said that she wanted to see how Bijou responds to these two medications first. Her reasoning being that none of the tests are very safe or doable and that the risks outweigh the benefits. She said that for X-rays (and I think also ultrasounds) that Bijou would very likely need to be sedated which she said can be dangerous, as Bijou is only 20 grams and very very wiggly. She wanted me to try to collect Bijous urine to bring in on Saturday, but Bijou only peed a few drops (it needs to be a millilitre at least, I think she said) and the vet said she likely wouldn’t have any more luck than I did. If this new dog medicine is possible, it would be a small drop too, just like the antibiotics, but only given to her once, and then repeated in 60 days. Because of how hard it is to get medicine into Bijou’s mouth, the vet suggested the pharmacy make several doses in the case of fail to administer. So far Bijous stomach looks about the same, but it’s hard to know how much medicine has even successfully been consumed by her so far
Periwinklepets is offline   Reply With Quote