View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 02:44 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Help with fostering(i have questions)

I would also leave the tray - don't worry about the smell. The Mother needs this time. She is working hard to feed and protect her pups and any disturbance would stress her. I agree with the others - keep adding more toilet paper strips. They usually like to build a really big nest.

And put extra food out each day as she will need a lot while feeding. Don't clean anything until at least the pups start to come out of their own accord. Also try not to look at the pups until they are ready to come out of their own accord - the Mother could still cull them if she feels anxious something may harm them.

It's usually recommended to keep well away from the cage even and not peer in - at this stage - just put out the food, water and bedding once a day and don't disturb anything. She is doing very well, considering she has moved from one home to another and a bigger cage. But she will get stressed easily. Fingers crossed.

I also wouldn't take any more videos until the pups are bigger - the rule of thumb is when they come out of the nest independently and their eyes are open.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote